Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
contact cement not working on stainless steel tabletop

Posted by lynnhaz (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 14:28

hi everyone...i need some help! i just glued a decorative stainless steel top to my kitchen table and the contact cement i used is not adhering. i sanded the table before i glued the stainless on. i can pull the stainless up from the edges and see under it. this is three days later. i glued another piece of stainless to my kitchen island and its adhering just fine. the decorative stainless is "bumpy" so maybe thats the problem. My questions are:
*is there another adhesive i can use?
*do i need to pull it up entirely and start over?
*can i mix contact cement with another adhesive?
*should i just put weights on it for a week or so?
*should i pull it up and sand the metal to see if it will adhere better?
help!!!
thank you
lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: contact cement not working on stainless steel tabletop

I glue many, many different substances to metal with Aleene's Platinum Bond Glass and Bead Slick Surface glue. Problem is your table might be a bit large.

Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here