Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steel food can crusher

Posted by memarcus (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 13:54

I was wanting to build a steel can crusher for food cans and such (up to quart size). Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the power compenets of such a device. Seems a power screw would be simplest way but I've never used one, so are they sensitive to non-linear movement. My fear is that the crusher would rack/parallelogram and causes problem with the lead screw.

I also consider pneumatics/hydraulics but they would be complicated and a little expensive. Electic actuators would be great but they're too pricey for the capcity needed.

I'm thinking of adapting the guts of one two electric scissor jacks as this seems to be the cheapest way to get a decent power screw with motor and trans. to twist. They're cheap and if they can lift a ton or two they should be able to crush some cans.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steel food can crusher

Consider using a bottle jack in place of the scissor jacks. You will need a spring to return the ram after pressing the can. Google bottle jack press and you will get lots of ideas.

o
RE: Steel food can crusher

If you have the means to build a frame, and have a truck junk yard in the neighborhood, pick up a type 30 air brake chamber, and power it with tap water.

The type 30 means that the diaphragm has 30 square inches of area, and with 30 PSI at the faucet, you'll generate 900 pounds of crush.

You can make a neato electric control valve by stripping the water solenoids out of an automatic washing machine. You will need two snap switches (like for a wall box to turn on your dining room light) Put one solenoid valve in the supply line to fill the brake chamber, and tee the other one to drain water out of the chamber.

If you're crazy enough to tackle this thing, I'm enough of an enabler to give you a specific plumbing and electrical schematic diagram. Just email me with the request.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here