Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting some new tools for free

Posted by coryolson (olie1974@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Sep 22, 04 at 13:45

Dad just called and said my grandpa wants to get rid of all his tools because he is moving to a retirement home. Uncle was going to throw them in the trash. Of course I said I could find a home. Mostly smaller tools as I think the uncles sifted through anything that was worth money or they could sell. Many fond memories of working with him in the basement. I think I will end up with a lot of old screwdrivers, planes, etc. I know he had a couple of hand crank drills. Most of it will probably end up as decoration, but I would hate to see childhood memories thrown in the trash. It is being delivered by dad next week in what he calls two HUGE plastic garbage cans. Will post some pictures if there is anything interesting...

C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting some new tools for free

Kinda like Christmas a little early...

o
RE: Getting some new tools for free

Lucky you! If nothing else, you have some momentos. It brings back fond memories of my Dad and one of my Brother in laws who was just like a brother to me. They could make just about anything. My dad did more with wood than metal however. He had an Adz, drawer knife (that you draw toward you with a handle on both ends) hand planes, and what he called a "brace and bit" which was one of those hand turned drills. He could take some good stout oak and make handles for most anything, I helped him build a log barn. Fond memories !!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here