Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coryolson_gw

I want to get started

coryolson
19 years ago

Ok, you guys build some cool stuff and I want to get started and learn to do it. Anyone got a small project that would be a good starter to learn to weld? Maybe a bench or something? Also, what tools do I need to do the job? Price is not that big of deal, but space is, I have most of my garage filled with tractors and woodworking tools. Any help would be appreciated....

Comments (17)

• gonefishin
    19 years ago

First of all, make a little room, or buy or build another small shed. You gotta keep a welder dry and the rods too. You probably will need a 220 outlet for the welder if you are going to do any heavy welding, the 110s are for pretty light stuff. You will also need the ability to cut the metal that you are going to use, a metal chop saw, a cutting torch or what I wish that I could afford, one of them new fangled plasma cutters (you indicated expense was not too big of a factor). You will probably want a good drill, or drill press and some good bits. Grinder, sander, some clamps and vice grips, that sort of stuff. If I have left out something, you will find out what it is when you need it and don't have it.
    Then let your imagination run wild, a metal roll around workbench that you can weld on, the bench you mentioned, a tool cart, a box to go on your tractor, something to hold weights on it, possibilities are limited by your imagination ! Good luck, be safe and I am eager to see what you come up with.
    Bill P.

• Pooh Bear
    19 years ago

You want a project?
    I drew this up as a concept to add to my lawn tractor.
    Bet they would be popular with lawn tractor owners.
    This is a receiver hitch that bolts onto the lawn tractor.
    I plan on making one to use to move a couple of boat trailers around the property.

Pooh Bear

{{!gwi}}

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

Cory,
    If you need a bit of direction in your picking of projects,
    The 2 project books on this page are excellent!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lincoln Welding Project Books

• kbeitz
    19 years ago

Start with a weld table OUTSIDE... Woodworking and welding doesn't go together... Weld sparks and sawdust make an exciting night...

• KevC___Ireland
    19 years ago

I agree with kbeitz..... been there, used the extinguisher!! LOL.

K

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

Cory,

Matt justed added a page that should help you get started welding too. He has much information and safety issues covered.

Have a look at the "Welding 101" page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine Builders Network

• horseman1
    19 years ago

A welding cart is a good first project if you have a mig or FC machine. The problem is that you will steadily improve your welding skill and you will have to look at all those "rookie" welds on the cart every time you fire up the welder from then on! Its a good reminder for me to make sure I have the gas turned on :).

Kurt

• lazypup
    19 years ago

I prefer to think of my "rookie welds" as ornamental iron work. Not everyone has ornamental grapes on their work bench..lol.

• horseman1
    19 years ago

Well, mine look like a pigeon took a dump on the cart :).

• mla2ofus
    19 years ago

If space can be a problem in your shop, put casters on the welding table. I did and have been glad every I have to move it. If you build a decent table, you wont like sliding it across the floor.

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

Cory,

Since you mentioned your garage is filled with tractors, a good source for ideas for stuff to build is Farm Show magazine. It's a monthly publication, and it's filled with ideas and information from home and farm workshops. You'll find stories about machinery, equipment, tools, parts, and more. If you have anything unique you've built or invented or sell; if it will fit into their format, they may just offer to do a story on it. I built a column hoist a few years ago to help in the construction of a Steelmaster arch type building, that will lift a 500 pound load up to 20 feet. They did a story on that a few months ago, and another one the following month on another farm project. I made a set of CAD drawn plans that go with the hoist project article in case there was any interest and I did get a few good responses from that.

GG

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm Show Magazine

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

GG,

The only thing that could make Farm Show better, is to come out every month!!!

That is one truly great little paper.

Joe

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

Oops!! my mistake Joe, it is published only every other month.

Don't forget, they'll send you a free copy from their website if you ask.

GG

• JoeJ
    19 years ago

LOL, my daughter messed up and didn't renew my subscription on time.
    Today I got my 2 back issues. It is like Christmas in November.
    Between the "build it my self", "shop tips" and the "best and worst buys", I set here.

• modre
    19 years ago

welding cart on casters is a good start.
    here's a mc/tractor lift I made this spring that doubles as a fabrication table. this thing is even more useful than I had imagined. yes it takes up space, but it more than makes up for that in utility.

{{!gwi}}

• gonefishin
    19 years ago

That is innovative Modre. I remember seeing it when you posted it before, meant to ask but never got around to it. Does it lower enough to drive a lawn/garden tractor on to to raise it up? Or is it narrow enough to straddle and lift them up that way ? Are those chains taunt for stability when it is all the way up ?
    Bill P.

• modre
    19 years ago

>Does it lower enough to drive a lawn/garden tractor on to to raise it up? Or is it narrow enough to straddle and lift them up that way ?because I wanted to be able to steal the jack for other uses, whether the table's in use or not, it lowers to about 12" (note the foot on the left) and I can still get the jack out...if the jack was dedicated to this alone you could get it down to 7-8"...and with the 3' attachable ramp it's low enough to easily push tractor or mc up. table measures 82 X 32 so the tractor front wheels are on but the rear wheels hang over 2-3" each side...which isn't really a problem. I made a "snatch trailer" with that orange engine crane for heavy stuff in the yard, and backed the trailer straddled...this is a very versatile and useful lift table.

>Are those chains taunt for stability when it is all the way up ?the chain on the right just keeps it from going over center under load and the chain on the left is a removeable safety should the jack fail under load (weight up high terrifies me). all the load is on the jack, and the lift is surprisingly stable...note the X brace on the left legs. all the pivots are 5/8" pins (rod) in 1/2" pipe.

lift weighs around 200# and has an estimated capacity of roughly 1000#. I've had 800# on it with no concern. jack is 1 1/2 ton.