Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shw001_gw

Rust on Metal Roof

shw001
18 years ago

I have a 55-year old terne metal flat roof that has some rust spots, totaling about 10 square feet out of 300 square feet. It has been coated every few years with a fiber-aluminum-asphalt paint that leaves a shiny gray finish. How would you treat these rust spots prior to repainting with the same fibered-aluminum paint? (I believe terne is steel coated with a lead/tin alloy)

I came across a product called "Rust Bullet" that claims to convert the rust to a hard inert substance that could then be painted. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Here is their URL

http://www.rustbullet.com/productcart/pc/viewCart.asp

Thanks

Comments (3)

• shw001
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I came across another rust treating product called Rustoleum Rust Reformer. It comes as a liquid that you brush on or as an aerosol. Anyone have any experience with this product? It sounds like it does the same thing as Rust Bullet, but I cannot tell wheter it is the same chemical or not.

Thanks.

• spambdamn_rich
    18 years ago

You might also try Rustoleum Red Primer - the one with fish oil in it. I would let it weather for a season before giving it a top coat, though, and I don't know how well it might adhere to intact terne plating. I used some on my galvanized shop roof last fall, I'm going to check on it this weekend and see if it looks ready to paint with an aluminum top coat.

I would clean everything up, get any oil/grease off the intact terne.

• mowerman42
    18 years ago

I`ve used a product that called oxisolve, it works good you spray it on an let it sit. This stuff is safe and easy to use. One gallon with last a long time it`s on the expensive side around $30.00 for a gallon. But it looks like this is getting to be a yearly repair. they have new products for treating rusty surfaces, but this is the only one I`ve used. This is what the web site says about this rust remover

This specially formulated Rust Remover is a powerful, rust-fighting liquid created to meet the needs of auto restorers. It reaches even inaccessible areas, quickly dissolving iron oxide completely and leaving a zinc phosphate coating. Rust Remover can be sprayed, brushed, or used as a parts dip. It is non-toxic, non-flammable and reusable.

I just used it to remove rust from a expensive commercial lawn mower deck, It`s treated now and just needs paint.Nice and smooth surface all the heavy rust deposits are gone.I also used it the treat a running board from my wifes grandfather model TT ford truck that was rusting away. It`s now painted satin black with wrought iron shelf brackets she uses it for her angel collection, looks nice on a wood paneled wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastwood

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm