Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old slide re-surfacing

Posted by reads_n_writes (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 04 at 11:25

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question, but it seems like the most appropriate forum.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a new house. While walking around on the land we noticed an old free standing, metal playground slide under some trees. We looked at it more closely and saw that it seemed to be sturdy and sound (no holes or anything) but there was a layer of rust, or some other corrugation, coating it from top to bottom (it isn't red colored, it's more black). The slide's not very slippery in other words. Is there any way to resurface it to bring back the slip? Is it worth it? It is a neat slide in a nice location, but I suppose we could eventually just buy a new one.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old slide re-surfacing

You might try removing the black crud with a wire brush, then polishing with emery cloth (the auto body kind) and waxing it.

o

You might also consider spraying some different kinds of solvent on it to see if it loosens the "black stuff", WD-40 or PB blaster. If that don't work, gasoline melts asphalt as will Berrymans B-12.
If you can get that off, there are numerous options to sand, shine and /or polish. You might even try putting some of the sticky back sandpaper on a pad to let the kids slide down the slide on, cleanin and sanding while having fun. Just kinda thinking out loud, here! Consider all aspects, use reasonable care and caution with whatever you choose to try. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Post some pictures if you got em.
Bill P.

o

Thank you both for your ideas. We won't be closing on the house until November 1st. So I'm just thinking ahead. If I get a chance to take a picture before then, I will! Otherwise, you'll hear back from me after November 1st with results. Thanks again!

o

Just coat it with epoxy paint...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here