Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to determine Amps on an Arc Welder

Posted by Salkeld_Farms (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 21:10

Title says it all, well mostly.

I have a Arc 180 from Harbor Freight that I picked up for free. I downloaded the instruction manual from the site and have run a few sticks on it and it works fine. Only problem is that it was dropped (my guess is a couple times from looking at the case) and the actual variable gauge you use to determine amperage is all jacked up and doesn't really work.

So, my question is, without harming myself in the process, is there a way to use a multimeter to determine the actual dialed amperage?

Thanks - Craig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to determine Amps on an Arc Welder

I have the Arc 110 welder.
Looks like it uses the same guage for showing the setting.
Looks like it just like one of the old radio indicators.
Should be easy to take it apart and fix it if it don't work.
If the sticker is gone showing the settings
just take a marker and draw them back on using the chart.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Arc 180

o

Craig,

I'd just do some practice welds with it. Once you get a good weld on say, 1/4 inch stock, mark that as 125 amps and work from there. That will be approximate. Do the same for 1/8 inch steel. That will be about 90-100 amps. If the heat is too light, it won't penetrate and it will be hard to hold an arc. If it's too hot, it will undercut and burn your work.

My mig welder has three rocker switches and a wire feed speed control. No amps indicated, I just set them where I get good welds and remember those settings.

Another point with a stick welder, you need more amps with bigger rod, so keep that in mind. If you use a 1/8 rod on 1/4 inch stock, and it welds good, you will need to increase heat a bit with a 3/16 rod.

GG

o

Gooseberry is right. The amp selectors on most stick welders are just to get in the area of amps desired. After that a lot of variables come into play, such as rod dia,rod type(6011,6013,7018),thickness of metal being welded,position(flat,horiz,vertical,or overhead), and how close you hold the arc between rod and metal. It just takes experience to determine where to set the amps.
Hope this helps,
Mike

o

Measure the output voltage at the various settings and calculate your way backwards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here