Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taliaferro_gw

Faux copper Metal roof over bay windows

taliaferro
16 years ago

Hello,

I've just had a faux copper metal roof installed over my bay windows. The house is a cream colored stucco and the installers caulked the joint (where the new roof meets the stucco) with white caulk that they painted copper! I asked whether they could have used a caulk to match the copper and was told that "they don't make it." Is this correct? How will painting over white caulk hold up?

Thank you for your help:)

Comments (9)

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

*Bump*

• sydneydavis
    16 years ago

I don't know that answer but you could get a clear paint or sealer of somekind and paint over the painted caulk and that would seal it.

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Dave! I googled Vulkem and apparently there are several different numbers. They do come in a host of colors, including light and dark bronze, but, alas, NOT copper! Darn it! I had the white caulk around the copper painted to match, and it looks OK, but they really should have used clear if they couldn't get a decent match.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

• cassiejoann
    15 years ago

We are building a stucco house that calls for 2 bay windows and I would love to know what company you got your faux copper roofing from.

We don't want a real copper because of the staining on the stucco.

Any suggestions?

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure.

The metal we selected came from Drexel Metals Corporation, 204 Railroad Drive, Ivyland, PA 888-321-9630. The name is "Metallic Copper". The other metal manufacturer that offers a faux copper is Atas, and it's called "Coppertone". Avoid that one, it doesn't have the metallic finish and doesn't look as authentic as the one from Drexel. Not sure if you are in PA, but the company that did my roof was Radick Corporation, and I highly recommend them. Their work was superior. Lee Radick is a man of extremely high integrity, just a wonderful experience - they also capped all of our wood trim, rafters, soffits, and fascia with metal for a totally maintenance free exterior.

Good Luck with your project!

• whim4me_aol_com
    12 years ago

I was wondering what kind of faux copper did you use? That is exactly what I want to do. Where would I get the faux copper and was it reasonable? Thanks, Linda

• sneezye
    12 years ago

Paint on caulk will hold up fine, as long as it's paintable caulk. I would find out what kind of paint it was so you can repaint it when it starts to wear. Be sure to recaulk before you paint.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

No caulk should be required.

Flashing and counter flashing are what keep water out.

While copper is not really cheap, it is still not all that expensive to use copper.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz