Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radiation in wrought iron from Mexico?

Posted by nccmama (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 10:45

My mother-in-law told me of a story that she saw on her local news a few years ago regarding the hidden dangers of wrought iron from Mexico. Evidently, some tables in Minnesota imported from Mexico were found to be radioactive. I'm interested in this story because I recently bought a wrought iron table base that I plan to use for a coffee table, but I don't want to expose my family to any radiation. I searched on the web for more information, but I didn't come up with anything.

Has anyone hear ever heard of any "dangers" in iron furniture from Mexico?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radiation in wrought iron from Mexico?

Here is a link to an article in the times that you may find of interest

Here is a link that might be useful: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DF1138F935A35756C0A962948260

o
RE: radiation in wrought iron from Mexico?

" U.S. and Mexico Cooperating To Restrict Radioactive Steel

UPI
Published: May 6, 1984"

Notice the date.

There was a problem when a steel recycling plant threw a Cobalt 60 source into the melt.
The re-bar for concrete that was cast from the melt set off radiation alarms when the truck ENTERED one of the US nuclear labs out west.
The alarms are there to make sure nothing EXITs the lab compound.

This story is so old there should not be any more 'hot' steel around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here