Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipe: Is it copper? How to refinish? Help!

Posted by simoneb (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 9:25

Hi all,

We have a long pipe (floor to ceiling) in our apartment. We *think* it is copper. It looks to be a dark brown color now (not sure if it is paint or what). A magnet won't stick to it and our apt was built in 1923 so copper seems plausible. Does anyone know how I can tell if this truly is what it's made of? And, if it is copper, how do I make it look shiny and new?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipe: Is it copper? How to refinish? Help!

Get some Brasso (or similar brass/copper polish. Apply to a small section of pipe with a piece of cloth; rub for a few minutes. If it's copper, you'll know it.

o

I'm going to try this -- thanks. If the pipe is painted (I can't tell... lots of dirt and stuff...) is it OK to sand a copper pipe?

o

scratch it with a butter knife. rub it with a brillo. try the brasso. If it is copper you can sand it. You could polish it up like a stripper pole if you wanted to, but if the brown color you describe is just the deep brown color of the oxidized copper surface, remember that it took 80 years to get that way and you may find yourself wishing you'd have left it alone. I'd try just cleaning it first and then ponder if I wanted it polished shiny.

o

try a Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pad # 223 ( green in color) which can usually be found at lowes.
these pads are very aggressive. I use these pads for cleaning copper before soldering

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here