Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom duct cover for chimney hood

Posted by espresso (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 7:30

I am in the process of getting my kitchen redone. One of the bigger problems I have is finding someone who is able to build a custom duct cover for my Viking chimney wall hood. The cover that came with the hood cannot be used. The guy who said he could install the hood failed to mention that a floor joist is in the way of properly running the duct through the ceiling and out. So now, the duct is about 6 " off from where it should be, and he rerouted it back to running down the kitchen wall. This leaves a bulky look for which the standard duct cover won't fit.

I have spent a lot of time finding a metal worker who can help, but so far unsuccessfully, obviously. If anyone here could help in some way, shape, or form, it would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom duct cover for chimney hood

Look for a sheet metal shop that fabricates HVAC duct work.

They can usually also do stainless.

o
RE: Custom duct cover for chimney hood

I have a similar problem...my 10" duct is off by 3" or so due to attic constraints. I'm toying with the idea of a drywall soffit to enclosed the duct and taper it back towards the wall. The Viking Chimney soffit would then tie into the "false ceiling."

It's not a perfect solution but I've seen a picture of it and it seems to work ok. I really want my "chimney" to go all the way to the ceiling but I have to compromise. Would like to see a picture of your solution...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here