Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to welding, what to use for this project?

Posted by keithruck (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 2:13

I haven't welded, but I'm very handy. I need to weld pieces of angle iron (steel/iron bed frames) into a 3-D arbor that can hold some heavy plant growth.

I don't have any other projects, or need to weld anything else- just a bunch of these bed frames. Since they will be outside, I don't need the welds to be pretty, just functional. I'd like to find out what the most cost-effective welding options would be.

I don't have a 220 outlet, and I don't have any high-amp circuits, so I'm assuming I need to either go with gas, or wire up a new circuit first?

Has anyone used the 115 Volt Spot Welder from Harbor Freight- would it be sufficient for a project like this?

Thanks!
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to welding, what to use for this project?

I'm not a real welder, but I do a reasonable amount of welding. Gas or electric you will probably to practice a little. If you don't care about looks or some warping, due to heat, I think gas would be the easiest to get right on the first try. Maybe you can rent a gas rig. I know you said that you don't intend to do any more welding, but you may find additional opportunities. I find my wire feed and torches to be indispensable for general maintenance.

o
RE: new to welding, what to use for this project?

"I don't have any other projects, or need to weld anything else- just a bunch of these bed frames."

Be advised that bed frames are often re-rolled railroad iron and/or a medium carbon alloy. Which means any stressed joint can crack if improperly done.

To stick weld, use a low hydrogen rod, i.e.7018

Gas torch welding has a wide HAZ and slow heating/cooling, so any mild steel filler can be used.

Pre-heat would be advised with a 115V mig.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here