Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bending 3/8' 1018 flat bar steel

Posted by lascraigus (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 1:07

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to bend 3/8"x1 1/2" steel to a specific radius. The length of the piece is 46", and I was thinking I could do the following: Make a concrete form 2" high in the shape of a quarter circle (to the radius of 23"....would look like a pie slice). Weld two eye hooks at the ends of the steel. Then, using a weed torch, heat the steel until glowing red. Then bend it around the concrete form using two come-a-longs attached to the eye hooks at the ends. Finish it by drenching it with water to harden and set the shape. Any ideas? Comments/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bending 3/8' 1018 flat bar steel

I would NOT use concrete- it will spall exposed to direct heat and fling shrapnel dangerously, especially with new 'crete.
Since it sounds like you can weld, the typical hand method would be to tack uprights made of flat bar/angle/channel (scraps ) to the work table or a baseplate, at a radius slightly less than proposed to accomodate springback. It is a good idea to leave some tangent on the ends. This can be done cold, given the radius stated, with a cheater tacked/clamped to the end. The start is either clamped or restrained by a stop/pin on the OD.

o
RE: bending 3/8' 1018 flat bar steel

Thanks for your suggestion! I think I will stay away from the concrete idea....didn't even come to mind until you said something. Whew. I'm glad this can be done cold!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here