Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blacken-it

Posted by marybeth1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 23:11

Hi,
Has anyone used this product. I have an ugly shiny brass set of fire doors that I would like to use it on but I am having trouble finding any information on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blacken-it

See what the directions say as far as what kind of metal you can use it on and the prep needed. It sounds like it may just be stove black used on wood stoves, but there are also products out there may for gun bluing or blacking.
Some products can only be used on Iron or steel. This type of blackening is actually a controlled for of rusting so it wouldn't work on brass. hope this helps a little

o
RE: blacken-it

Make sure your fire doors are not covered with a sealant before you try to blacken it. If they are still shiney (and not brand new) they probably have some sealant on them and will not blacken anyway until the surface is stripped. Then there are any number of products specifically designed to darken brass- black, dark green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here