Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil Rubbed Bronze 'Living Finish' Question

Posted by mydreamhome (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 16:47

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum--I usually hang out in the Building a Home & Kitchen forums--and I hope some of you may be able to help me out. I am building a house and found beautiful hardware for my doors. They are solid forged brass with a Distressed Venetian or Oil Rubbed Bronze "Open" finish in a lever style. My parents have a similar finish in their house--Baldwin ORB egg shaped knobs and after 5 years the doors that are used the most are completely stripped of the finish. This is something we do not want to happen. So my question is this:

Is there any way to keep the finish looking like new & protect it from wearing off revealing the shiny brass underneath?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil Rubbed Bronze 'Living Finish' Question

You can get Baldwin brand oil rubbed bronze hardware that is not the living finish. I did not know about "living finish" problem until I started doing research. I certainly don't want the finish to wear off after having spent all that money on the fixtures!

o
RE: Oil Rubbed Bronze 'Living Finish' Question

"Is there any way to keep the finish looking like new & protect it from wearing off revealing the shiny brass underneath?"

I'm in the hardware business and I can tell you that no, there are no bronzes that won't eventually patina or eventually become "rubbed" bronze.

The reason for this is that the pigmentation of the finish is done with soft metals. Just as copper colored spray paint has copper in it. This means that the finish will reflect the weakness of the soft metals used to paint it.

Pigmentation used in red, black, blue, green, knobs etc. are minerals which are much harder. Other finishes that won't change over time are finishes that actually are the metal, such as stainless steel.

The bronze is simply too malleable of a metal to not wear away over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: D. Lawless Hardware

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here