Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodworker Needs Help!

Posted by deaddigits (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 10:44

I am an experience woodworking hobbyist, who is trying to make a golf putter head out of aluminum
stock.

When I try to use my grinding wheel (aluminum oxide) to shape the aluminum stock it loads up quickly and I stop. I've heard of exploding wheels.

When I use my woodworking drill press (14") to drill 1/8" holes one inch deep, the drill bit snaps off and the part that is lodged in the aluminum cannot be pulled out. I have lost three drill bits despite frequently withdrawing the drill bit to make sure the flutes do not get loaded up with aluminum or get overheated. Should I be using a lubricant? At what speed should I set my drill press? Mine has speeds ranging from 350 to 3500 rpm.

For what I thought would be an interesting project has become a very frustrating one. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodworker Needs Help!

Oh shoot man this sounds like fun. Since the part is so small a regular 80 grit grinding disc should work well for shaping activities. Now the other thing with the drill bits is that it is not a drill bit or lubricant problem the problem is that the workpiece is shifting or you have a older drill press with some play in the shaft and it is shifting. So we need to lock the part securely and try that drilling thing again, if the drill press is the problem borrow your neighbors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here