Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing a wrought iron table

Posted by ladybug1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 5:03

My parents had a beautiful, old wrought iron table with chairs that I want to refinish. It was out in an old barn and is really in pretty good condition, but it needs to be sanded, etc. It has lots of little grooves in it that will be hard to get to with sand paper, and I really don't want to spend a lot of time sanding. What is the easiest, most efficient way to sand something like that? I know they sell some "paint" type products that theortically will also act as a primer. Is this stuff any good or is it just a sales gimmick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing a wrought iron table

If the rust is not loose and coarse, there are conversion coatings that dissolve the rust and turn it into a black phosphate coating that is a very good base for additional paint. The best price for the conversion coating is at an auto paint store. It is about as thin as water and is simply brushed on.
Sandblasting (though not always with sand) can be used for cleaning ornamental iron. When done carefully it can remove almost all the rust, but in most cases a conversion coating is still required.
A wire brush and some elbow grease can remove loose and coarse rust and the conversion coating will smooth out the surface rust.

o

Thanks. The old paint is loose and coarse. I wouldn't mind spending the time putting on the conversions coat. I was just trying to avoid spending the time and elbow grease scraping the thing down. Too many places for my time to be going right now.

This information is helpful. I always wondered if that stuff worked as well as it is purported to work.

o

Dear Ladybug1,

Did you follow brickeyee's suggestion on using the conversion coating on your wrought iron table? I also have a table that needs refinishing and want to do it right and also without a lot of trouble. If you used the conversion coating, where did you purchase it and if it got on areas without rust, did it have any effect on that area?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here