Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrought Iron Outdoor Furniture - Care Question

Posted by davewg (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 20:02

Hi all - visiting from the Kitchen forum with a question on care/cleaning of wrought iron furniture. I did a search, but didn't see the info I'm looking for.

We're considering purchasing a set of wrought iron furniture (table and chairs) for our screened in porch.

Will we have any problems with durability leaving the pieces on the porch year round (we are in southern NJ)? What's the best way to clean the table if we're not able to easily hose it down?

Does anyone on the forum have wrought iron furniture in a screened porch? How does it hold up if left out year round? What do you do for care and cleaning? We're hoping not to have to take the table outside to hose it down.

Any other advice/info appreciated.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrought Iron Outdoor Furniture - Care Question

My parents have wrought iron furniture and they just use a scrub brush and soap and water once a year and hose off in the spring. They also, about once per year, give it a light coat of rustoleum spray paint. They have been doing that for years and years and still looks as good as new. It's at least 35 years old.

o

I agree with Izzie - water and a bit of detergent on a damp cloth is probably all that you will need to keep it up. Also, a light liquid wax will help to make cleaning easier and suppress rust.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio Wrought Iron Furniture

o

If it is starting to rust I would stop by the local truck bedliner shops and see if you can catch a deal and get it all sprayed. Problem permanently solved!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here