Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
welding forged steel to spring steel

Posted by Gnu_Marshall (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 19:41

Hello, this may be off topic from the norm here but, I'm curious about making a sculpture that will incorporate a sword in it's design that will be using a leaf spring from an automobile's rear suspension and a connecting rod from the cars engine. The spring is steel and the connecting rod is forged and not cast. What problems am I going to have when attempting to join these two items? I'm thinking that they will have to be brazed but am not sure since the connecting rod isn't cast iron. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Cheers!
-Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: welding forged steel to spring steel

Brazing would work great or you could silver solder it.
Good lucl Jim

o

If you have a mig welder you could mig weld it.

just watch out for bumps at high rpm.

Roscoe

o

There is always the forge weld using the deterrgent cleaner junk. Something like how they make the layers while making swords.

o

As long as you realize that welding on the spring steel will weaken it as a sword there is absolutely no problem welding the two together with any standard welding method.
I am assuming that this is not meant to be a functional sword.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here