Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relearning Welding O/A

Posted by BradleySmall (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 15:43

I have been wanting to add welding to my skill set for a couple years now. But this weekend, thanks to Craigslist, I got a little goosing and picked up a decent deal on a O/A set with bottles and some rods, and both cutting and welding torches.

I have not welded anything since I was in High School (mumble, mumble) years ago. I assume that it will all come back, but I would like to reduce the error aspect of trial and error. I have picked up one of the basic manuals of O/A welding, and will work through whatever exercises I can find in there.

I am interested in any small/quick (confidence builder type) of projects that I can knock out relative easily just to get the feel of it again. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relearning Welding O/A

Go to wally-world and grab a box of 20 Mule Team Borax and dig around for some metal clothes hangers. Vee out 2 pieces for a butt weld, bring the ends of both pieces to bright red and sprinkle some borax on the crease between the 2 pieces. Keeping both pieces at the same temp, bring it up to where the clothes hanger will start liqufying and slow start your weld. The borax is used as a flux to help prevent oxidation and the clothes hangers work just as well as any specific welding rod you can buy, especially for tinkering. I torch weld, but mostly forge weld in the shop and borax is always around for my welding. In the forge, I keep my piece between the neutral and oxidizing sections of the fire and just brush off with wire brush, borax, bring up to welding temp and hammer away. Your torch isn't much different really. Hope you have good luck with it :-)

o
RE: Relearning Welding O/A

When cutting metal up to 1/2 inch, use 3-4 lbs A and no more than 20lb on oxygen. Any more pressure on oxygen in just wasted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here