Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bender for Rebar project?

Posted by nutynetie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 10:41

Would a conduit bender work for bending rebar?

I have several in the garage (somewhere) and want to make a "fan trellis"
out of the rebar about 14' high and 8' wide to fill in the boring side of my house.
DH says no, I need to buy a "rebar bender" (just another toy for the garage to eat?)
I'll be using the flimsy stuff from the BORG.

Also, any suggestions on the "brackets" that keep the "fan" spread with welding?
DH can weld but doesn't really like my idea, so not worth coaxing him into it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bender for Rebar project?

It will work - it's almost as easy to pound a couple of stakes in the ground and bend it on that. It doesn't resist bending, and doesn't spring back much.

Weld the base of the fan spokes flat, maybe with a couple of chunks of rebar across the base for extra strength.

Then, bend one long piece of rebar into the top "arch" for the fan (brace the middle on a lamp post and just walk the ends to get it to bend, or hold it in place with tent stakes and bend it on the ground). Mark where you want the spokes to go. Hold the base down with something, and spread the tips, starting at each side, to match the marks on the arch and weld them there. Trim the excess, bend it under or whatever.

Measure down a couple of feet and weld another arch onto the spokes ... repeat until trellis is done to your satisfaction.

Weld a couple of LONG, HEAVY rebars (3/4" or so) onto the base to serve3 as anchors, and anchor it to the wall along the arches.

o
RE: Bender for Rebar project?

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here