Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Need help with a freestanding handrail

sooz
15 years ago

We have family members who have had hip replacement surgery, or who need hip replacement surgery, or who've had a "bad" hip replacement surgery, and we have one friend who has had numerous back surgeries related to a work injury.

They are wobbly, and we want to install a metal, freestanding handrail--if it's possible--so people can enter and exit our home, and also go out and enjoy the patio, and we want to provide extra stability for going up/down steps. There are 3 steps into/out of our home, and there are no walls to anchor anything. Everything is concrete in these areas.

I've googled and googled and found nothing about how to install a freestanding handrail. We are pretty good at the DIY stuff, and always use the right tools too. I know we'll have to anchor this "porch" rail into the steps for stability and installation, but I cannot find how to do it. Years ago, my sister had some "wrought-iron"-type handrails installed on the front and back of her home, much like what we want to do, but she lives 2 hours away so I cannot contract with the person who installed these.

I'm thinking if we can find the "pre-fab" steel/iron railing (where do you find this stuff?), and learn how to install it, we can do it.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sooz

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus