Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inverter plasma cutter from harbor freight

Posted by CarenA (cbappel1@aol.com) on
Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 1:27

Does anyone know about the performance of the Harborfrieght inverter plasma cutter. I bought it on sale for $500.00 -- it's 220V, and has a 40% duty cycle at 36Amps. I haven't used it yet b/c it appears I have to hire an electrician to put the proper plug on it (didn't come with the plug). Do these little plasma cutters work really well? I typically don't cut anything thicker than 1/8 and the specifications say this plasma cutter will cut through 3/8. Anyone have experience with this plasma cutter or one like it? I'd love feedback. Not sure if I bought something that could just be frustrating or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inverter plasma cutter from harbor freight

If all you're cutting is 1/8 then this cutter should work fine. I've used a much bigger one as part of my metalwork training, and IMHO plasma cutters are great, much easier to use than a cutting torch. I haven't used (or seen) the Harbor Freight version, but $500 is a pretty reasonable price. I think I've seen that one advertised for $700 or more.

I don't quite understand why you can't wire up a new plug yourself; that's what I would do. I'm assuming you have a 220 outlet for it. If not, then yeah, I'd probably hire an electrician to put that in.

You should know that Harbor Freight equipment isn't considered top of the line, or even mid-line. But when you're only using it to 1/3 its capacity, it might be all you need. Parts and service might be another issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here