Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked Brass Samovar repair

Posted by nw1900 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 0:44

I bought a Russian samovar and I want to repair the cracks. It is antique but I plan to use it personally. I looked at brazing and soldering (if that would be the correct method) but which would be unsafe (most of the solders and brazing rods are very toxic). I could send some pictures of the cracks if it is needed. I ought o to mention there are dents which I think can be fixed with a felt covered hammer.

Would this be a repair I can do?

Thanks,

nw1900

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked Brass Samovar repair

You'll need silver bearing solders, expensive.Or a similar alloy filler to weld it. But more importantly , skill is required. Without which your samovar will be ugly lumps of metal connected by slag holes.
Get some brass alloy and practice running different joints to perfection. The ability to play with liquidus/solidus in a small temperature range is the goal.
There is then the issue of expansion/contraction of the samovar and related stress questions that you will have to contend with. If it has profuse cracking it may well be beyond repair.

o
RE: Cracked Brass Samovar repair

Brazing should do the trick.

It takes some practice, and an oxy-acetylene torch to do a good job.

Cadmium is the most common toxic element in brazing rods, but there are plenty of alloys that do not use cadmium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here