Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edselpdx_gw

A Craft/soldering question

edselpdx
17 years ago

OK... please don't blow me out of the water for asking this here, but I didn't really find a better forum to ask on.... I am NOT a metal work person. I don't own any kind of welder, but it does tempt me, you know...

What I want to do: I want to use a store bought metal trellis or arbor and embellish it with some "found" metal objects like silverware, springs, locks, old metal tools, etc. These objects would not be structural in any way, just "jewelry" for the main structural arbor or trellis that is already (theoretically) structurally sound.

What is the easiest way for me to do this? Do I now have an excuse to go take that welding class at the community college, or can I solder these things on? I have soldered in the (distant) past... things like model railroad tracks. Any soldering recommendations--it's been a while for me? what solder, what kind of soldering iron? ?Welding?

The piece will be done with 4th graders (and I would do the soldering or welding (imagine expressions of fear on my face), maybe with some observers/helpers. The kids will also be providing glass beaded wire to wrap some of the piece with... I'm picturing an arbor over a walkway embellished with bits of recycled "found" metal bits and glass beaded wire. This will be auctioned off in our spring auction as the class project to raise money for our (public) school.

I have the summer and fall to come up with a prototype and practice so I don't look like an idiot in front of all the 9 and 10 yr olds next winter. My daughter will be the guinea pig to help me see if this will work. I appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Thanks... Sonya

Comments (2)