Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a Plasma cutter like ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 22:20

How do they work ? Do they need an air supply ? - A compressor - or a tank of Oxygen ? 220 volt ? What kind of bench can you cut on ?? Questions - questions ! Now that I learned "first grade" welding ... I'm seeing all the cool "toys" that you can buy for metalworking. I've watched videos of people cutting out stuff with plasma cutters ... but of course - it doesn't give the technical details. I have a long way to go before I can do this - but I'd love to find out the details. If you've done it --- I'd LOVE to find out the pro's and cons ...... Thank you !!! ~ Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a Plasma cutter like ?

They work by establishing arc plasma between the nozzle and the work. The plasma is conductive.
Yes, compressed air is now the common driver.Inert gases were used initially and still are on sensitive material.
220VAC hookups are standard foo home shops. The swarf doesn't have the thermal "memory" like oxy torch, plywood could suffice as a bench. There will be charring.
The "pierce" rating of the machine is a good indicator of capability. If the intention is cutting non-ferrous greater capacity is required vs. steel only.

o

Oh -- there IS air involved. I wasn't sure. Sounds like that will be something to use in the far far future.
My hubby isn't too happy that I'm taking over his garage with my "new hobby" ~~ LOL

o

The compressed air requirement is modest for the type machine you would likely get. Any basically equipped garage compressor probably fills the bill. Hubby might find the cutter VERY handy.

o

If you're interested in seeing what plasma can do with intricate work or repeatable work, go to www.torchmate.com
They're small units for small shops or craftsmen who sell the work at craft shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torchmate

o

OMG, you will love one. There is so much you can do with one. I have a miller plasma cutter.

o

Hey there Gretch and Toomuch whats new??Gretch what Miller do you have my husband is interested in getting a small hobby one ...whats good anyone out there??

o

Hey Annie ...... nothing new -- I'm just dying for the "big boy tools" ... *sulking* .....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here