Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soldering copper gutters

Posted by kitchenquest (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 18:13

how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I understand w/ any trade, there are tricks to be learned, and experience to be gained. But, I'm wondering if I picked up few extra feet of gutter for practice, I'd be able to figure it out. Anyone have any pointers? where can I buy a soldering iron?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soldering copper gutters

I use an acetylene powered soldering iron. You need a very high power one since the copper soaks up heat. Solder flow is limited by the available heat. For bigger jobs a wore wheel on a drill cleans up the surfaces to be soldered, corrosive flux (plumbing type), then apply iron on one side of the sopper and bar solder on the other. the solder will flow only after the copper gets hot enough.

o

I would definitely suggest contacting a professional or a manufacturer of copper gutters. I have an old farm house and when I ran into trouble I contacted several online sources. I added a link below for your reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate and Copper Sales Company

o

If you don't have a lot to do, how about "just for copper". It's a glue type material, but it actually "solders" the copper. It would be expensive for a professional to use it on every joint, but if you subtract the cost of the tools, and the time it takes to learn to do it right, this may be a practical alternative.

o

To all who might be thinking about that, you may want to consult a professional first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Gutter Suppliers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here