Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a bracket

Posted by oceansideca (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 13:36

Hello all. My first post.

I have a Silent Paint Remover. It is an infrared fixture that is held to the painted surface for a minute, and causes the paint to unbond from the surface. The fixture weighs 4 pounds.

The company sells a "hands-free" setup for $200, that I want to create on my own. I have the design done, bought the materials, and now need some advice on production.

I need to make a simple bracket. I have a piece of steel, 1-1/4" x 36" 12 Ga, galvanized finish. I want to make two 90 degree bends, and three holes. Tools available are a vise, hammers, drill, and a mapp gas torch.

Can I get a clean bend in the vise? Should I heat the metal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a bracket

Went ahead and tried it. Easy, pretty clean bend in the vise.

o
RE: Making a bracket

Bending in a vice using a hammer will get you a pretty good bend. If its mild steel no need to heat it first. If you try to unbend it, it might break apart at the bend so get it right the first time. measure it out and mark it first with felt pen. Drill your holes before bending. Use a center punch before you drill the holes. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here