Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
copper awning over bay windows

Posted by ddgg (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 12:41

I have a couple of copper awnings over my bay windows on the front of my 35 year old home. They have had paint dripped on them, they have turned nearly black with some spots of green patina beginning to form. They are not pretty. Is there a way I could restore them somewhat back to a copper color. I would love to be able to do that and seal them. I have found a product online called Copper Bright Copper Cleaner. Anybody had any experience with that product or any others? Thanks for any input.
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: copper awning over bay windows

I freely admit that I am not a metal work person and that I am no expert at all, but many people wait years/decades for their copper to "turn" to brown and verdigris. This is generally a wanted change. People apply accelerators to their shiny copper or brown weathered copper to make this slow oxidation faster than the decades it really takes naturally. You could use a copper cleaner/polisher and/or some steel wool or sandpaper to restore the shiny copper look, but you'll have to apply some kind of urethane or finish to keep it from turning brown and starting the patina process over again. Plan on using plenty of elbow grease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here