Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a clearcoat solution to preserve rusty steel

Posted by CWirick (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 12:02

Hi, we used steel posts & beams in our new home rather than the typical timbers. We wanted an industrial loft-like look. I want to maintain a slight appearance of natural rustiness/authenticity while protecting against deepening rust damage and to prevent rust from rubbing off on the clothing of those who may lean up against them. Is there anything you can recommend? I prefer something I can brush on so I don't have to worry about overspray.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a clearcoat solution to preserve rusty steel

You might want to try Dupli-color Clear Coat available at many auto parts stores like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts. Comes in a gloss and a matte sheen levels.
It is inteneded to spray, but if you are covering architectural columns I would think you could apply with a brush. If you are going for the rusty industrial chic look, I would think matte would look more natural.
Beware of clear lacquers that can turn amber or even green with UV exposure..
FYI- good clear coats for metals are pricey.
Good luck.

o
RE: Need a clearcoat solution to preserve rusty steel

Spray lacquer.

Your choice of sheen, but matte would probably be least visible.

Do not use water based products.
The water in them will cause additional rust resulting in adhesion problems.

o
Locating company that lacquers brass

We have acquired a very old set of brass fireplace equipment including a fender and coal box all in solid brass (American made). After spending a month polishing, I can see the oxidation beginning. Does anyone know of a business in the Boston, MA area, esp. north shore, that will lacquer these pieces so that I can spend my free time doing something more relaxing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here