Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot metal repair

Posted by Cocomartinez (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 10:38

Purchased a Victorian metal plant stand with one of the feet broken off.

It's a clean break, with the edges matching perfectly.

My question - the raw metal sparkles where it's fractured. Any clues about the best method of repair? Solder? Weld? Epoxy? A metal plate screwed in from the back?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot metal repair

The difficulty with welding pot metal is probably determining what kind of alloy it is. It's probably mostly zinc or aluminum. You don't want to be welding zinc; it will release toxic fumes. And the aluminum alloy may be unweldable. Don't know about solder... or brazing... again, the type of alloy will be the problem there. And there's a chance you could wind up melting the piece to an unrecognizable lump before the solder or braze melted.

If the stress on the piece is not excessive, JB Weld might work. You could try reinforcing the back side with some extra metal (steel) and holding it in place with JB Weld. JB Weld is a high strength epoxy. Make sure the piece is very clean and oil/grease free first. Some brake cleaner (acetone) should handle that ok.

o

You can't braze or solder any type of aluminum.
I would first try the JB weld or any other epoxy you find that is for aluminum. Try a boat shop.

o

I'd want to see the foot- in a lot of cases, a bit like that will want a sprue- not hard to do, I use hanger wire clipped to size and ground smooth. but if the break is on a curve, or had a bend in it, it gets much trickier...

how big is it, and how much weight will it need to carry?

o

If this is a nice piece and you really want to save it you can get the right stuff for the job here.

http://www.muggyweld.com/potmetal.html

They even have videos showing how easy it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: muggyweld

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here