Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper surround..

Posted by notdoneyet (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 23:57

I had a fireplace surround for my new wood insert made. the guy used a spray varnish to finish it...wished he hadn't..now with the heat, it has discoloured and gotten sticky..I want to remove it safely, and just let it age (like me) naturally...any thoughts...Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper surround..

Hate to see unanswered questions! That's my thought.
If the surround is removable, haul it outside and coat it with stripper containing methylene chloride which will remove even the most obdurate coating given time and application. Remove residue with old newspapers/rags which can be disposed of.
Warning! Elderly people with heart conditions need exercise caution using MC by wearing appropriate protective gear (organic cartridge respirator). The primary transmission is through rapid evaporation, which is why outdoors or positive flow ventilation is required.
The treated surface may have some blotchiness. This sounds in order with your closing comment. If not, post again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here