Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drilling enameled steel tub

Posted by commonground (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 21:15

How can I drill an enameled steel bathtub?

I want to install faucets on the rim of the tub.

Thinking of grinding carefully the enamel before using a regular HSS holesaw.
Another idea would be to score the enamel using the holesaw in reverse before drilling.
Failing that maybe using an electrician knockout punch was suggested somewhere on the web.

Any better idea? Has someone done it before?

Thanks in advance.

Thierry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drilling enameled steel tub

Have never done it but I would be afraid the enameled surface would chip too far beyond the
hole???
Perhaps with a Dremmel and diamond bit kind of groove it a little first.
Konrad

o
RE: Drilling enameled steel tub

A diamond edged hole saw might do it.

Basically you're talking about cutting through the thin glassy layer on the surface of the enamel. You can't actually cut it, you have to grind it (which is what a diamond edged hole saw would do). Perhaps one of the type used to put holes in ceramic tiles would work.

Running a hole saw backwards would probably just chip the enamel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here