Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting metal baseboard?

Posted by DruidClark (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 15:28

I thought I'd ask the question here, as it seems at least as much related to metalworking as any other topic.

Our metal baseboard is in bad shape. Can it be sanded and repainted? If so, what's the best place? I'm thinking someone who does car painting, but not sure.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting metal baseboard?

You could have them dipped in acid or sand or bead blasted, then painted and clear coated ... prep is everything. You might even want to look into powder coating, more durable than paint though. Just depends on how much you want to get into it.

You would be amazed at what you can do with a wire wheel and a can of spray paint though.

Mike

o

I considered blasting and re-painting the covers for my baseboards. Then I realized that new covers are not expensive and look very nice. You can buy a cover for a 5' heater for about $28 at Lowe's or HD. With a new heating element, they are only $5 more. For a larger room with 15-20' of heater, you can get several 8-10' covers and the splices to make the installation look clean.

As I remodel each room in my house, I am replacing all the old baseboards, including the elements, since they are all bashed up, dirty, and full of undescribable nastiness.

-Eastrick

o

:) on new baseboards, Eastrick is right- just recover them.

on my darling old, original to the house beasties? can't replace them- I painted two of them with plain old house paint, used a wire brush on a drill to clean up the radiators and sprayed them with rustoleum heat resistant...

and cleaned another one of the baseboards down to bare metal, gave it several coats of the copper coating they use for Verdigris work...and then added copper leaf over that base. like it so much, I'm thinking about doing them all that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here