Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annealing copper sheet

Posted by sharonofnz (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 2:23

A very basic question - can I anneal .9mm copper sheet with a small propane gas torch? Also,should I cold work the copper first? I'm making a garden sculpture and want the beaten look to the plate and I want to anneal for the aesthetic result ie., to take away the bright copper colour, I prefer not to use patinisation. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annealing copper sheet

Annealing is a method of softening metal that has been hardened by one method or another. Copper is one of the metals that hardens when it is worked (bent, stretched).
If all you want to do is color the copper a small torch will likely do the job, but you are not likely to be able to actualy anneal any signifiacnt size piece. To anneal copper it needs to be heated to about red hot and them allowed to slowly cool. It will be dead soft afterwards if the annealing is done correctly. Soft copper is not as strong as hardened (tempered) copper.

o

Thanks Brickeyee - I had a go with the gas torch after beating the copper and managed to change the colour of the copper (bluish tones) so presume that I haven't actually annealed it. I'll have to come up with something more satisfactory. I remember using a small furnace at a metal working class, utilising a vacuum cleaner, but I've lost the instructions to make one. Any ideas or suggestions?
Sharon of NZ

o

Annealing does not always change the color. If you want to darken a small item put it on the oven at the highest temp you have and wait. It will oxidize to a darker finish.

o

Thanks again for the advice Brickeyee - the copper is a bit darker now and at least I've got rid of the fairly garish blues etc, looks more like aged copper. Still have to find a means to anneal properly without spending a fortune or filling the garden shed with loads of equipment!
Cheers, Sharon of NZ

o

How big is the sheet of copper? You should be able to anneal the sheet if it's not overly large with a plumber's torch, if it's a large sheet- you may need another person and torch to keep the heat high enough.

o

if i may know what type of inert or vacuum atmosphere ( gases) to be used in the furnace while annealing copper. i will be highly obliged

o

I'm sorry I don't know - I ended up just using a plumbers propane torch plus heating in the oven as Bostonpat and brickeyee suggested respectively. Worked well for me as I was only after the decorative finish as I had already worked the copper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here