Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can I find steel counter support

Posted by bemily (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 23:53

Anyone know where I can get steel L-brackets for under counter support? They need to be thin (1/4 inch) and 12" long and 12" high. I've been searching and searching and getting very frustrated because this seems like a simple thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can I find steel counter support

Search for 17k3512 at the link below. If that's not what you need go to the index and select shelf hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley - Hardware

o

Thanks for trying but I'm looking for the L's without that angled piece. I may just go with decorative corbels instead of hidden support. It's just too hard to find.

o

You might try contacting a metal fab shop. They could bend some brackets for you out of 1/4 inch by probably 2 inch steel flat stock. That would likely work for you, depending on the weight you may put on the shelf.

That's one idea, start with those dimensions and discuss your needs with the fab shop. Something should work for you.

GG

o

I had this same dilemma when I installed my breakfast bar with a granite countertop. I didn't want to use corbels or other supports because I didn't want folks banging their knees and I don't like the look. I like that "free float" look also. So, I actually purchase a custom cut metal plate, screwed it to top of the breakfast bar supporting wall, and then just layed the granite right on top. Make sure that your wall I had to go to a specialty machinist shop to get the metal sheet (roughly 10 gauge), and they laser drilled holes and countersunk the holes so that I could screw flush into the metal. I had screw holes countersunk and offset every 8 inches along the sheet metal. Also make sure that your top 2x4 is securely mounted. If you can add a 2x4 between each stud (directly under the top board, side nailed into the studs). Then, you can screw through the metal sheet securely onto not just the top 2x4, but also the 2x4 directly underneath it, giving you a very sturdy base to lay the granite on. You don't want the weight of the granite to rip the top 2x4 off.

You can see the whole project at http://www.thegoodrumfamily.com/ayrlee.kitchen Look at the pictures under the Saturday section and you can see the metal sheet, and see a small section how the top 2x4 is reenforced with another 2x4 underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ayrlee Kitchen Project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here