Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sanding off chrome plating to paint or ???

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 18:10

We have one of those chrome recessed TP holders in the bathroom. I went looking (store and online) for ones in a Oil Rubbed Bronze or iron/black finish yesterday. All I could find were ones that mount on the wall and then project out. We need to have the recessed kind due to space restrictions. Plus would have to re-do the drywall if we removed it.

I'm starting to think about sanding off the chrome or de-glossing it enough to paint. Anyone sanded off chrome before, then painted or patinated with something else? What's usually underneath chrome? If it's brass I could do a nice patina with that...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sanding off chrome plating to paint or ???

If you really need this type of design, AND you really can't find a replacement, then you might try a commercial plating firm. They can electrically strip off the chrome and replate practically any color you need.

o

It's set so beautifully into the drywall I'm afraid I could never replace it so well!

o

linnea-
Usually these things are mounted by cutting a rough hole into the wall and fixing them in place with a couple of screws. If you're thinking of doing anything with this while it's in place you'll truly have a mess on your hands.

o

Do you mean sanding while it's in place would be messy? I wasn't thinking anything chemical. I'm pretty neat while sanding...unless there's something different about sanding chrome? I'ver sanded off other platings though never chrome. Does it flake?

o

linnea-
Sorry...didn't see your re-post until now. I did mean both sanding in place and finishing in place. I also should have mentioned that metal dusts are toxic and you should have an appropriate respirator and ventilated workspace if you do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here