Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? How to clean brass doorknobs/hdwr

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 17:56

I have a 1920 A&C home with beautiful solid brass doorknobs and backplates. They are the originals and in terrific shape except for years of grime. I don't believe they are lacquered, but am not sure how to tell. How do I clean them safely??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? How to clean brass doorknobs/hdwr

OOPS!! Just realized upon close inspection, the grime is actually old lacquer and the beautiful brass I see is where it has worn off. How do I clean these up or do I have to take to a professional metal shop?

o
RE: ?? How to clean brass doorknobs/hdwr

Buy some BRASSO-it may be hard to find, but ask anyone that has been in the ARMY and they will tell you the same thing. I would take the knobs off and dab a little brasso on an old rag and start with a small circuling motion, you will be shocked at the black grime on the rag. When you are done they will look like new! Brasso works well on copper ,Gold and silver too. I cleaned up an 1864 Indian head penny and it looks new. Brasso is what we used in the military to clean and polish our brass buttons.
Hubert
huberthn@windstream.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here