Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fixing of worn copper range hood?

Posted by joeyp123 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 29, 06 at 17:21

I USED A GREASE CUTTER PRODUCT ON MY COPPERTONE COLORED COPPER RANGE HOOD I HAVE HAD IN MY HOME FOR YEARS. I HAD LET THE PRODUCT SIT FOR A WHILE SINCE THERE WAS ALOT OF GREASE BUILDUP. THERE WAS ALSO A HOT BULB UNDER THE RANGE AND THE FINISH IS COMING OFF AND THE SPOT WHERE THE BULB IS HAS HAD THE WORST EFFECT OF LEAVING A ROUND WHITE SPOT ON THE RANGE WITH BLACK AROUND IT. THE REST OF THE RANGE IS TURNING BROWNISH. IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLEAN OR RE-FINISH OR PAINT OVER OR ARE THERE COMPANIES THAT SPECIALIZE IN FIXING THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fixing of worn copper range hood?

The brown color is the natural tarnishing of copper. In time it will turn green. It can be removed simply by using a good copper polish. The copper polish may also remove the white and black discoloration around the hot spot.

Due to the brown color, it sounds like this hood was not given a protective finish at manufacture. However if it does have a plastic type protective finish, or if the protective finish has worn off in areas, you'll have to remove all of it in order for the polish to work. A paint remover will probably do it, but the fumes can be awful and you'll need to protect adjacent and lower surfaces from the drips/splatters. After you bring the surface back to an acceptable state, you can re-apply a protective finish, although I prefer leaving such surfaces unprotected and using regular polishing to keep them looking nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here