Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewp_gw

New to welding want to weld my metal bedframe

DrewP
19 years ago

Hello,

I want my bedframe to be higher off the floor. I want it to be 14 inches from the floor rather than the 7.5 inches it currently is.

I admit I have never done this before, but I have access to the supplies, I just need the names to the type of metal I need and the type of store I can buy it at (or if I can use the metal from another frame, I will do that if you know that is possible).

My husband is currently deployed and I want to surprise him. Also, I am beginning to realize that I like to change everything and it typically involves something metal. So I need to start learning.

The metal bedframe currently supports a queen size boxsprings and mattress. It only has four supporting posts so the horizontal sections of the bedframe are very strong since they span the distance of a queensize bed and do not sag. I just want to change out the 4 posts.

Questions:

1. What type of metal or metal alloy are strong metal bedframes typically made of?

2. Are the posts made of a different metal? These seem to be. The posts seem to be made up of a metal that is thinner and even a different alloy.

3. That being said, it seems that I can weld different type metals together.

Knowing the type of metal most bedframes are made of, what metal would you suggest I use for the posts? I do want to go a little thicker (or stronger) since the posts will be longer.

I suppose too, that it will depend on the type of welder I have. I believe the metal shop has three types of welders. They told me they can weld just about anything.

So what metal do you think would be good to use? Where do you buy it?

One thing, I have noticed the paint (not even sure if it is paint, seems that the color goes through the metal, it is dark brown) on my bedframe does not even scratch off. What paint really sticks to metal since I may have to paint it?

Thanks!

Drew

Comments (3)