Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to welding want to weld my metal bedframe

Posted by DrewP (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 05 at 13:23

Hello,

I want my bedframe to be higher off the floor. I want it to be 14 inches from the floor rather than the 7.5 inches it currently is.

I admit I have never done this before, but I have access to the supplies, I just need the names to the type of metal I need and the type of store I can buy it at (or if I can use the metal from another frame, I will do that if you know that is possible).

My husband is currently deployed and I want to surprise him. Also, I am beginning to realize that I like to change everything and it typically involves something metal. So I need to start learning.

The metal bedframe currently supports a queen size boxsprings and mattress. It only has four supporting posts so the horizontal sections of the bedframe are very strong since they span the distance of a queensize bed and do not sag. I just want to change out the 4 posts.

Questions:

1. What type of metal or metal alloy are strong metal bedframes typically made of?

2. Are the posts made of a different metal? These seem to be. The posts seem to be made up of a metal that is thinner and even a different alloy.

3. That being said, it seems that I can weld different type metals together.
Knowing the type of metal most bedframes are made of, what metal would you suggest I use for the posts? I do want to go a little thicker (or stronger) since the posts will be longer.
I suppose too, that it will depend on the type of welder I have. I believe the metal shop has three types of welders. They told me they can weld just about anything.

So what metal do you think would be good to use? Where do you buy it?

One thing, I have noticed the paint (not even sure if it is paint, seems that the color goes through the metal, it is dark brown) on my bedframe does not even scratch off. What paint really sticks to metal since I may have to paint it?

Thanks!
Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to welding want to weld my metal bedframe

I don't know the shape of the bed legs. If they are tapered, you'll have to cut them off near the top and get angle iron or square tube the same size and thickness to splice in the amount you want to extend them. If this seems too complicated, cut the old legs off and make new ones of pipe with the same diameter as the width of the rail it will attach to. Try to find rubber chair leg tips to fit pipe before attaching it to rails.
Hope this helps,
Mike
PS: Tell hubby this old vet says thanks a bunch for being there for us. We're really proud of this generation of military personnel. My hat's off to Him!!!!!

o

Yes, everything you said makes sense. Thanks, it helps to get ideas about the options I have to do this.

My dad is a vet too!

Drew

o

Ditto on the thanks.

I can't come up with a lot to add to this, but it might be easier extending the current legs than attaching new ones. Bed frames are usually odd grades of scrap that is partially hardened when the frames are made. Old railroad track, etc. There's a reason legs are usually rivetted on. Many types aren't easy to work with and won't take welding. Others do. If it's weldable a basic stick welder will do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here