Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grinding Wheel Dresser

Posted by troman1 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 0:51

Simple question.

Inherited an old Sears 6 x 3/4 bench grinder - 36 & 60 grit - wheels are glazed and not true.

Bought a Harbor Freight star-point dresser ($3 bucks) and wore it out on just one wheel. Worked great though. The wheel's beautiful now but brand new wheels are only $6 or $8 bucks.

I ain't asking because of the money - it's peanuts - but I'm curious.

I need another. I wanna keep after 'em from now on. Is there a difference with another better brand or did I use it too hard? Can I buy a bunch of replacement star-point wheels for a decent price anywhere? Are the diamond ones longer lasting? Which one should I get?

Just appreciate any experienced metalworkers input to satisfy my curiousity.

TIA,

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grinding Wheel Dresser

I’ve been using the same single point diamond dresser for years. However, I do not use it free hand.

o
RE: Grinding Wheel Dresser

Get yourself a diamond dresser, ..in a machine shop supply store, they seem to last forever in what you're doing.
But...mount it on something, I have made a steel slide, pushing along the wheel rest [steel plate] this way the wheel gets
perfect flat.

Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here