Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tqo111_gw

Copper range hood: which finish?

tqo111
18 years ago

I am about to order a custom copper range hood for my kitchen remodel. Metalworker offers plain (shiny) copper in various textures, as well as light and dark "patina," which presumably hold their look better. Am I foolish to consider the plain, brilliant copper? How does it age? I don't mind cleaning it once a week. Would it turn turquoise with time, like a copper roof or pipe? Thanks for all replies.

Comments (12)

• sudsmaster
    18 years ago

If you've ever had a copper bottom pot, like Revereware, then you'll know how quickly copper will tarnish. It's not as quickly as silver, in my experience, but it will darken fairly soon. Also, any splashes of acid or salty liquid will likely leave a darker stain or even some greening.

In time the copper will turn green, but it might take a very long time indoors. To be uniform the copper should be cleaned thoroughly and then protected from uneven staining after that. My suggestion - if you want that green patina - is to have it applied or induced before installation.

• tqo111
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Susdmaster. I've spoken at length with the metalworkers. they apply a lacquer finish to range hood, so I'm taking my chances with plain/shiny copper and plan to be fastidious cleaning it after guests inevitably touch it!

• sudsmaster
    18 years ago

You're welcome.

The lacquer should provide long term protection. However, if the finish is scratched or chipped or broken in areas, the surface underneath will begin to tarnish in a spotty fashion, and polishing may not restore an uniform appearance. So in some cases I prefer leaving such surfaces unprotected and using regular polishing to achieve the desired results. I think regularly polished copper acquires a nice patina that is more attractive than a lacquered surface. Just a matter of taste, I guess.

• elenarainbow
    17 years ago

I bought 18" X 24" sheets (1/64" thick) of bare copper to be used as a backsplash in my kitchen. How would I go about applying a patina finish to these. Would I have to do them individually or after they are on the wall? Please tell me I can buy it in a can! Also do you know how to cut around the outlets? If someone can help or direct me to some help I would greatly appreciate it.

• lydia000
    17 years ago

ill ask my sme question here- does anyone know how to lighten a dark patina hammered copper table? i love the table but the patina is way too dark. Is there a product that would lighten it? anyone who might have some information about this would be really helping me out! the table comes from mexico and they seem to always do this very dark patina.
    thanks
    lydia

• mjplap
    14 years ago

Just following up with the copper range hood post from March 07. We are still loving the copper range hood that we bought from Circle City Copperworks, and we just bought a farmhouse sink (this year) and replaced a cast iron undermount sink. Anyway, I can honestly say we get so many complements from our copper range hood and two sinks that we have in our kitchen. The finish on the hood looks great still, and we are enjoying the natural changes that any copper sink will have. We just use a mild soap to clean the sinks, since they are so antibacterial by nature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Range Hoods

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Also, any splashes of acid or salty liquid will likely leave a darker stain or even some greening."

Salt left on the copper can eventually turn it green, but even weak acids will leave nice bright spots on an otherwise aged copper surface.

It does not take much acidity to strip the copper oxides off.
    Vinegar, even canned tomatoes are both acid enough.

• PRO
    Custom Made
    8 years ago

In Mexico we use patina or rather create patina on the copper surface by heating it or leave it rustic looking with many different color tones which are outcome of heating copper in the oven prior to working on patina finish. To prevent further oxidation because that what it is when copper changes color, we varnish it it. It prevents metal having contact with oxygen so the color is permanent.

• Sue and Jim Costanzo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there. When we built our new home 3 years ago I asked for a copper hood. The Builder did not tell me there would be a choice of finishes so we received raw copper. Its pretty but now is getting red blotches from natural aging and elements. We live at the beach so every metal we have turns from the humidity and salt air, unfortunately. I'd love to put a treatment on it,...what would the process be to eliminate the red blotches? I have read here that wax helps as well. Can you give me a few tips? I'd actually love it if it were a bit darker as well. Thank you

• Samantha McGrogan
    3 years ago

How do I bring my bright copper finish back? I've only had it a couple of days and it's already so dark. I did clean it using a home remedy treatment to remove smudges and fingerprints during install, (people were wearing gloves), but the bright copper finish only returned for less than 24 hours, any suggestions?

• Nina Bullard
    9 months ago

I am interested in the outcomes and experiences of Sue and Jim Costanzo as well as Samantha McGrogan. I have the same questions. I purchased a house with a copper hood. It is beautiful but I simply don't have the time to constantly get up on my counter and polish it. I live near the ocean and it seems that whether the salt air, humidity, grease, splashes or fingerprints that land on the hood create spots (including green) make it look messy. It does not create a nice patina if left alone either. I need to put something on my copper hood because I do not have the time for proper maintenance of the raw copper. Wax, lacquer or other? Other maintenance suggestions? Any good copper maintenance companies near New Bedford, MA - Providence or Newport, RI - Cape Cod or Boston, MA?

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia