Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bm_stclair

converting grinder motor with start capacitor from 110 to 220v

bm_stclair
17 years ago

Hey all,

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I recently got a grinder/sander. It was set up for 110v but the motor says 110/220v. It worked fine in the 110v configuration but I wanted it to be 220v (heard it was better on the motor) In my ignorance I figured that converting it would be like other tool voltage conversions so I rewired it per a diagram I had from another tool. A little foolish I know, but I didn't have the correct manual and I thought I could figure it out.

What I failed to see and didn't realize was that the motor starting capacitor is rated at 150 mfd and 125 VAC. Anyway, after a brief moment of the grinder running I heard a loud pop and some smoke (i think) coming from the wiring region of the motor.

I then unplugged it and turned it over. The black cover that was on the capacitor had popped off and the dielectric oil from the capacitor was all over the bench and all in the wiring.

The question pertaining to my long winded story is that I still want it to be 220v but I assume I need a different higher voltage rated capacitor. I am just not sure which one to get. Do I need to have higher capacitance as well?

Also is there any chance that I messed up the motor?

Comments (2)

Sponsored