Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of doing copper kitchen floor..

Posted by Soul (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 22:06

So we are thinking about doing a copper floor in our kitchen, similar to something like the picture in my link.
How thick of copper should we use? What do you guys think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Flooring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of doing copper kitchen floor..

Interesting. I never would have thought to put copper on the floor. My countertop copper is 16-gauge. I wouldn't consider anything thinner than that and would probably go thicker. Will this be near and entry door? If so, realize that any time anyone walks in with wet shoes, those footprints will show. You will also want a metal break or other method to bend the edges over so that you won't have any sharp edges at the seams.

o

Thanks for the thoughts, Alice. We're not sure on the whole thickness thing. We are wondering how important thickness is vs doing the sub floor properly. We were thinking we would treat/coat the floor with something for the water tracks and spills but don't know too much about that either. I have googled a little bit but I havent found anything like it.

o

Looks like copper flashing.

It is normally 16 oz/sq. ft. and and therefore about 0.016 inches thick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here