Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on unlacquered brass door hw?

Posted by slateberry51 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 21:18

I live in a 120 yo home with lots of brass hardware. Most of it is aged and darkened, with burnished places. I guess it's really all over the map of light and dark.

Our front door hardware just died. It was not original, and not very good, so we are not attempting to restore it.

This is my forever house and I want a permanent solution. I am looking into the baldwin hamilton or cody with mortise. Originally I thought I'd get the hamilton in aged brass finish, but then I read about how it scratches and looks bad after a couple of years. Now I'm leaning toward the cody in unlacquered brass. That way, over the years, it will darken to blend with the other hardware in my house. Also any scratches will also weather and develop patina and blend in over time. I'm just suspicious of these new-fangled factory "lifetime" finishes I guess. It seems to me that if the finish gets damaged, there is no way to fix it, and it just looks messed up, not aged or weathered. Any opinions?
(cross posted to old house forum)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on unlacquered brass door hw?

There is probably some material you can get to give an accelerated patina to copper, you could try it on the brass, since copper makes up part of the alloy. Maybe vinegar would work?

Those lifetime finishes are not that bad these days but it might look a bit chintzy next to your aged stuff. I agree, the fake aged stuff looks tacky.

o
Weathering copper/brass?

Actually our own gardenweb has a copper patina recipe:

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper patina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here