Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soldering stainless steel - how ???

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 17:52

I do stained glass and have alittle knowledge about solder & soldering irons . The one thing I haven't been able to solder is stainless steel . I know it can be done . I'm trying to incorporate stainless steel (such as silverware ) with my leaded panels. St.S. needs so much heat - it melts the lead . I've tried acid core solder , 95% tin - no luck . I've tried filing the area to be soldered and wire brushing it - no luck . The tip of my iron gets up to 600 to 700... torches discolor & melt everything . I have a website bookmarked that shows stained glass wrapped with lead soldered onto stainless steel . I'm at a loss as how to do it. Is there a simple way ?

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH !!!
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soldering stainless steel - how ???

Kathy, see link.
You must be doing soft solder??
I always use silver solder, have done stainless... I guess the color of silver is not what you're after.
Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldering

o

Thank you Konrad !

Ok ..... I'll probably get deleted for showing you the website of the soldering I want to copy ... but you can see how this is what I'm looking for .....
http://designsbydeann.com/ She solders lead to stainless ..... it's mystery to me .

o

Hm..this looks nice and prices are right...for the work that goes in!

Have you tried following instructions on the website?...it should be possible but then, you don't know what grade stainless she is using, this could make a difference too.
I would think that she is using the most common stainless out there, the best stainless material is the 316, all
stainless in the 3 series like 316, 304 and so on are none magnetic stainless, [check with magnet].
Allot of stainless are in the 4 series like 410 or 416...these are slightly magnetic, over time they can rost a little and I think it would solder better.
I have silver soldered both.
You can always ask her, what type of stainless it is...then follow instruction on website.
Konrad

o

I don't know if it was silver solder, but I used to have a roll of solder touted to work with dissimilar metals. You could do a broader search and see, but maybe silver solder is the way to go.

Could you use an epoxy adhesive for just that part? Something like JB weld for example?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here