Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Protecting and Patinating Door Hardware?

Posted by Shady_character (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 05 at 16:45

As part of a remodeling project I'm repairing and painting the doors in our 1928 house. They still have their original hardware which I believe is brass and those faceted glass doorknobs. I've buffed up one lock escutcheon to a nice shine and would like to preserve the finish. Is there some kind of spray lacquer that would work well? Or is there a better way?

Also, some of the hinges seem to have some kind of varnish and bits of old paint on them. I hit them with Safest Stripper which took care of the paint, but the yellowed, transparent varnish or whatever is is didn't come off. What might take it off without harming the metal?

And, finally, we're painting all the trim slightly-off white but the rooms will all be different colors. I wouldn't mind keeping some of the harware shiny brass and then do different patination treatments to match each other room color scheme. Are there any good on-line resources about what's possible and how to do it?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share!

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Protecting and Patinating Door Hardware?

Mark,

I used a product called Nioxin for the brass cleaning with some 0000 steel wool. I also soaked them in lime away and hot water for a while, this seemed to clean the crystal knobs really well. I used a single razorblade to scrape off the stuff I could not get off with steel wool on parts like the strikers and hinges. You can use spray laquer to preserve, but it will yellow over time. Check out my pics:

Sorry, I can't get them any larger without distorting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here