Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Working with metal is fun!

Posted by konrad___far_north (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 14:36

I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades working with metal.
Most trade people are on their feet all day and get some of their physical exercise in the same time,..it's good for you!

Please post pictures from your creations...working with metal and produce parts can be very satisfying.

I'll start with some...being a machinist tool & die maker.

These are hole saws I make from solid bar stock..up to around 18 inches in diameter, used in hot taping into pipelines out in the field.
April 19 / 2009 photo IMG_3089_1_1.jpg

I also do the sharpening
Oct. 11, 2011 photo IMG_1220.jpg

Large bolts
Aug. 19, 2011 photo IMG_1072.jpg

Rubber Mold
Jan. 2011 photo IMG_0308-1.jpg

Complete dies,..this one for hot forming points on ends of metal rods for surveying.
Aug. 18, 2011 photo IMG_1079.jpg

These are die replacements for it,...finished machined, going out for heat treatment.
Aug. 5, 2011 photo IMG_1045.jpg

Another die, made all part's except two punches, holders, like die plates, guide pins, bushings etc.
 photo IMG_2107_1_2_1.jpg

Made this long shaft, key way put in on the mill
Shaft, Febr. 2011 photo IMG_0448.jpg

Special tool holders, made from solid 4140H round stock.
Dec. 2012 photo IMG_0003.jpg

Large plates for molding press.
Oct. 8, 2011 photo IMG_1210.jpg

Large bronze bearing made from solid.
Jan. 2011 photo IMG_0370.jpg

Cutting key way into the bore of sleeve.
 photo IMG_2128_1_1.jpg

Cut bolt holes into large bronze split bearing.
Sep. 1, 2011 photo IMG_1088.jpg
Sept. 1, 2011 photo IMG_1091.jpg
Sept. 1, 2011 photo IMG_1090.jpg

Cut in half in the vertical saw..
Sept. 1, 2011 photo IMG_1084.jpg

Splined shaft made from solid, for main spindle /milling machine on the left, also boring bar going out for heat treatment.
 photo IMG_3625_1_2_1.jpg

Made a set of precision squares from tool steel.
 photo IMG_6199.jpg

Boring and threading replaceable heads.
 photo IMG_6217.jpg

Set of precision angle plates from solid 8620 material.
 photo IMG_6215.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Working with metal is fun!

Here a couple of hot taping/spade pilot drills, inserts/spades can be interchanged when dull. These are 1 1/4" in diameter in various length, the cutouts with holes on the shanks are for 1/8" wire put into place and bend on both sides 90 degree folded into pockets, these wires will pivot, fall outward when the pipe is drilled through and retrieving the larger piece, anywhere from around 4 inches to 16 inches or more.

Upper drill shows the insert/spade put in, [without the screw holding it]
Febr. 27, 2013 photo IMG_0018_zps49d4e8b0.jpg

Febr. 27, 2013 photo IMG_0021_zps04ee6d2d.jpg

o

Before major pipelines go into the ground vigorous test's are sometimes done like here, a test laboratory had me making test strips from pipes, every 90 or 180 degree, 2 thin strips were needed about 7 inches long, one near the outside of pipe, one near the inside, two strips in one section, saw cut first, bent flat, saw cut in half, then machined and ground surface for analyzing corrosion under chemical etc. also chemical composition for wear etc.

July 27, 2011 photo IMG_0968_zps32bf553a.jpg

o

Looks good Konrad. If I hadn't injured my hand ten years back I'd still be in the trade. You've done a good job promoting the trade!

o

Interesting reading, Konrad, but could you explain in more detail what you meant by "and retrieving the larger piece, anywhere from around 4 inches to 16 inches or more"?

I couldn't quite visualize what was going on here.

o

I've been fortunate to make a bunch of tool holders with different angles, used in pipe facing before welding.

Since no odd ball size in rectangle bar stock is available, I got slabs of rounds, faced in lathe, cut strips, then cut to length in vertical saw, milled the two saw cut to about .010" over size, then ground, squared, within .001" to size, then milled.

Taped two slabs together before saw cut.

o

Ground to size, this will be a 30 degree style.

o

Here a finished product 45 degree style.

o

Had fun with some flying very hot metal chips coming off a hardened thread gauge, had to take off 3/8" in length, using ceramic insert.

It looks more dramatic in this picture because of low shutter speed on my little camera made the red strings allot wider then they really are.

o

Latest creation...
these metal strips, about 1/8 thick, ..had to cut out two window and insert, [sliver solder] HSS pieces into. These two spots had a wear spot from rollers running back and force under high pressure,..they called it pressure plates. They needed in a emergency basis, 2 day's. I'll be making a bunch of new one's from better material, [O1] then heat treat.
Jan. 2013 photo IMG_0004_zps6379a08d.jpg

o
RE: T nuts, nuts special bolts for tie down workpiece

For the machine shop

To speed things up in the shop I've made nuts with the same hex size of 7/8", this is standard for 1/2 NC thread which I use most of the time, some nuts are 3/8 and 5/8 NC thread but I maintain the hex size of 7/8, this way, only one wrench size of 7/8 is needed throughout the shop.

As you see,.. no washer needed on these nuts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here