Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chemical that can change color?

Posted by alyceusvi (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 12:31

I ordered antique bronze door hardware for the outside and crystal knobs inside.
The problem is the crystal knobs have satin nickel ferrals and it doesn't match the other metal. Is there a chemical I can put on the satin nickel to turn it brown?
Otherwise I will have to use metallic paint so it will look like part of a set?
Thanks in Advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chemical that can change color?

You could paint them with Sophisticated Finishes Blackened Bronze. It's the closest match to ORB I've found. The paint actually contains fleck of real metal, so it looks quite good. Since they're not actually side by side, it would likely work. I bought it at Rejuvenation, but have since also seen it at craft stores like Michael's and Joanna.

I used the paint on a mailbox slot that's just pot metal that I couldn't replace when I redid my door hardware to ORB. The slot gets 6 day a week wear, and has held up well for 3 years.

Another thought would be to invest in new knobs for the inside crystal, but that's likely more expensive than you were thinking.

o
RE: Chemical that can change color?

I was looking to change the color of my chrome fixtures and someone suggested this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shor International

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here