Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lamp Post question

Posted by JeffK84 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 11:48

I would like to create a light fixture by taking a half-section of an old-style outdoor type lamp post, attaching it to an interior wall an placing a sconce above it. Problem is I can't find a half-section of a lamp post. Any ideas where to find one (even a fake one)? I may just have to take a whole post and attempt to section it with a hack-saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lamp Post question

I assume you want to cut the post in half lengthwise. If so,find a cloth measuring tape such as used for sewing. If the post is round at one end or both ends, you'll have to find the circumference and divide it by 2. With the post laying on a flat level surface with it chocked so it can't roll, set a square on the floor at one end and measuring from one edge of square blade to each side of post, find the center and make a mark on post. Do this at the other end without moving post. Now you'll need to put the cloth measuring tape end on the mark and measure around the post half the circumference and mark a mark there. I don't know how ornate this post is, but you'll have to have a straight edge long enough for the lenght of post to scribe a straight line from one end to the other. Again I'm assuming this is a metal post. If so, you'll next need a sawzall with metal cutting blades to make this cut from one end to the other. I don't know how long this is, so good luck. Hope my instructions are clear enough.
Mike A

o
RE: Lamp Post question

That is a good way to mark the post. I would use a 1/8 cutoff blade in a 4 1/2 grinder. It may take a few blades but it will cut faster. At work we have an air operated cutoff grinder which takes 8" blades. You might find a blade for a 7 1/4 wood saw. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here